Saturday, December 15, 2007

Sub-zero Skiing

Matt Williams, Ben Nemeth, and I met at St. John's University practice field to do some sweet striding on their trails. They have maybe 10 miles of beautifully groomed trails with lots of snow (we could use what K.C. got though). Matt inexplicably brought his retriever along in the truck. Maybe he thought he could do sort of a bilathlon hunt or something. Ben Doom was supposed to show up, but he stayed in St. Cloud--too bad!





Ben was a Junior Olympic X/C team member a few years back, and Matt is pretty good on his skate skis, so they quickly left me and my classic skis behind. I saw them a few times, but stayed in my own happy place for almost 3 hours. Once again, my hip flexors are gasping right now. I tried taking more video of the trails, but the camcorder froze up completely so I put it back in the car and did another lap.

As I mentioned, Kansas City got dumped on with a load of snow, just in time for Cyclo-cross Nationals. Our local young gun Bjorn Selander took first in an exiting sprint in the U23 (18-22 year old) category. Congrats, young Master Selander, it's clear that you were Bjorn to Ride. DOC'S ADVICE: watch this young man in future installments of Velonews or Pro Cycling or whatever. He's the real deal.

No comments: