Tuesday, March 4, 2008

One Day at a Time

Not much news to post today. I made it through my second day in the clinic without too much trouble, though I am not as efficient one-handed as I would like to be. I have a left-handed nurse, who comes to assist me with various procedures and examinations, and she's a godsend.

It's sort of interesting to reflect on all this manual dexterity business. The old saw says it well: “You don't know what you've got till it's gone." To illustrate what I mean, do this tomorrow morning when you get dressed: Take your left forefinger, stick it in your bellybutton, don't let it move from there, and get dressed in your ordinary manner.

I especially enjoy putting on an ordinary pair of men's dress trousers. You know ones I mean: There's a small button tab on the inside of the fly, a metal tab that attaches just above the zipper, and another button tab on the outside. Not to get to graphic, but it's a little tricky to hike up your trousers, tuck in your boxers, tuck in your shirt, and fasten two pants buttons one-handed.

I have a few shirts that go on pretty well, because the cuff-button sleeves are just wide enough diameter that I can get my hands through them without actually having to un-button or button the sleeve buttons. I realize that in many parts of the country it's all the rage to leave your cuff buttons unbuttoned & your shirttails hanging out, but come on, this is central Minnesota, where some of my older patients routinely wear a suit and tie to a clinic appointment (the same one they wear to church, weddings, and funerals, because it's their ONLY suit).

Don't even get me started with one-handed sock placement.

Fortunately for me, I have a lovely personal assistant, who is on-call 24/7, and who is remarkably adept at assisting with personal grooming. After all, Soulmate has been buying most of my clothes and matching them up almost every day to make sure I don't show up at work with clashing plaids and stripes. Or ANY plaids and stripes. There is an unwritten law about that, I'm led to believe.

Here she is acting the part of the water carrier. Actually, she is increasing the pressure head of the gravity assisted Cryo-Cuff that I use to ice my shoulder.

No, she is not for rent.

No comments: