Sunday, February 10, 2008

Look Ma, No Hands!


OK, so you won't think it's such a big deal, but this afternoon I tried (and succeeded) to ride no-handed on my rollers. For those of you who know what rollers are, you've probably been going no-handed forever; for those of you who don't, you couldn't give a rip.


Not to be a bore, but this is a pretty big deal for me. The last time I rode the rollers next to Big Jim, I was pretty wobbly and almost took him out. He threatened to stop riding, which is a big threat if you know Big Jim; he NEVER stops riding.


So, for me to develop mad no-handed skills in such a short time, I can only attribute it to one thing: two weeks in a row of riding MTB on icy snowmobile trails. My balance and positional awareness is all dialed in now. Uh oh, I think I just gave away a sweet training secret.


BTW, Big Jim just couldn't wait to get on the bike today, so he messaged me that he was starting without me. He watched "The Assasination of Jesse James" which he described as "2 hours and 47 minutes of crap." I rode the rollers for 2 hours and watched Cate Blanchett play "Elizabeth", which was actually quite good. I think I'll dig into the actual history a bit, since I really don't trust Hollywood when it comes to historical accuracy, and the story of England's "virgin queen" (pictured above) is compelling.


Off to dreamland now--I have an early morning start at my office in Alexandria tomorrow.

No comments: