Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Badly Beaten

Big Jim convinced me to go out on the road for a couple hours yesterday. It was sunny and 16 degrees with a brisk southerly wind. I had the late afternoon off, and it looked like a beautiful day to be on the bike. Boy was I mistaken. I got my butt kicked by the weather, of all things.

30 minutes into that wind and I realized that I didn't have adequate coverage on my feet (despite my awesome Lake boots), my hands (despite my best downhill skiing gloves), and my head (despite a balaclava). 60 minutes into a 2 hour ride I was cryin' Uncle and begging Big Jim to take me home. Much to my surprise, he didn't put up any resistance to cutting our ride short.

Maybe he was almost a frozen as me.

"Once burned, twice shy" is how it's supposed to work, but I'm already working on upgrading my cold weather technology to accomodate what this winter is throwing at us. I have enough hand and foot warmers to keep every GrandStay rider warm for the rest of the winter, so maybe I'll try actually using one.

5 comments:

Kevin Gilmore said...

How do you like your Lake shoes. I considered getting a pair earlier in the season but didn't. I think I'll revisit the idea next Fall.

GoBigGreen said...

Chemical heater sandwiches..bottom layer insole heater-> winter-ish sock-> then chemical heater on top of toes->shoe. Add a thin undersock prn.
The Lake boots are warm but nada helps with the wind, and I have reynauds so my toes turn in seconds.
Good luck!

Doc said...

Kevin, I love Lake. If I was younger and faster, I'd get them to sponsor me. I have the MXZ302 boots and the CX-400 custom fit road shoes, and both are fantanstic. The BOA tighener system is pure genius.

GBG: I'm going to stick with the "open face" sandwich, since I can't stand the feel of sand under my toes (guess I'd never make it as a beach bum). Otherwise, this looks like a recipe for success this weekend.

GoBigGreen said...

Hey the full insoles are just that, flat and insoles. I have 3 different heaters, hands are bulky "sandy", toes are "flat w adhesive" and full shoe are the flat ones for the whole insole.
I got them from sierra trading online...buy some and then it will warm up. Murphys law.

GoBigGreen said...

Hey the full insoles are just that, flat and insoles. I have 3 different heaters, hands are bulky "sandy", toes are "flat w adhesive" and full shoe are the flat ones for the whole insole.
I got them from sierra trading online...buy some and then it will warm up. Murphys law.