Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Nice one, Linda



Linda Sone is just about the nicest person I know. It doesn't hurt that she's married to my teammate Casper the Crazy-Fast Ghost. Seriously, she can really make you feel good about losing. Even when she dusts you, she tells you what a great race you rode. Here's an interview she did for Skinnyski.com:
Actually, truth be told, almost every woman I've met who races bikes (or even rides bikes fairly seriously) is among the nicest people in the world. In fact, even among the jerk gender (of which I lay claim, though it's not really my fault--doesn't it feel good to blame your parents for stuff?), most of the cyclists I know are near the top of the niceness scale. Maybe it's the natural hormones and endorphins, or all that fresh air, or training so much that there's no time left to do really stoopid stuff. Anyway, props to all you menschs* out there. The world's a little better because you are out there. DOC'S ADVICE: be a mensch, not a schlub.**

*[A] mensch is someone to admire and emulate, someone of noble character. The key to being "a real mensch" is nothing less than character, rectitude, dignity, a sense of what is right, responsible, decorous. (Rosten, Leo. 1968. The Joys of Yiddish. New York: Pocket Books. 237)

**schlub: a clumsy, stupid, or unattractive person (Yiddish zhlob 'hick', perhaps from Polish żłób) (OED, MW)

Now for something completely different (see the Bicycle Repairman video above for more Monty Python): is anyone else crazy about Heroes? Warning: I'm currently recording season 2, and haven't watched any of it, since I'm just finishing season 1 on DVD, so if you give anything away I'll have to saw the top of your head off like Sylar. I've been riding my trainer indoors even on perfectly good fall days just to finish this fab NBC series. Save the cheerleader, save the world! If you're a mensch I might let you borrow season 1 for a couple of weeks this winter.... Don't let young children near it, though, since Sylar's preferred M.O. is pretty graphic. DOC'S ADVICE: if you read Marvel or DC when you were a kid, or if you know how to IM, you are hip enough (or in my case, a dinosaur enough) to love Heroes.



1 comment:

S1 said...

Hi Doc, you put me on your blog. Wow! That's nice of you. I'll keep reading, the part about the Chinese baby is interesting. Hope to see you and Beth soon :)Sorry about your shoulder, heal up.. no more mtn bking period.